NewMusicSA-SA National Youth Orchestra Foundation Collaboration 2009: MEET THE ORCHESTRA
NewMusicSA and the South African National Youth Orchestra Foundation invite you to the first Meet the Orchestra workshop for emerging composers, to be held at the University of Pretoria on 25 and 26 June 2009.
Meet the Orchestra is a new opportunity which aims to introduce writing for orchestra and large ensembles to a new generation of South African composers. Meet the Orchestra will consist of:
- Presentations and discussions co-ordinated and led by Dr Cameron Harris (composer, lecturer at UNISA and President of NewMusicSA), and the conductors of the various National Youth Orchestra Course ensembles about writing for orchestra and large ensembles.
- Attending both sectional and tutti rehearsals of the SA National Youth and Concert Orchestras, the SA National Youth Wind Band, and the String Ensemble with Dr Harris, who will guide and direct participants’ listening.
- In addition to great works from the orchestral tradition, the ensembles will be rehearsing and performing exciting new music by living South African composers.
Participants in Meet the Orchestra will attend two concerts free of charge:
- A chamber concert performed by acclaimed duo Clockwise (Marc Uys, violin and Jacqueline Kerrod, harp), in which they will present a programme of new South African music commissioned by them and presented to great acclaim in 2008 around SA and in the US. ZK Mathews Hall, UNISA, Pretoria on 25 June at 6:30pm
- The final concert of the SA National Youth Orchestra Course 2009 (please note that this takes place outside the dates of the Meet the Composer course) Linder Auditorium, Johannesburg, on 2 July at 8:00pm
Participants will also be invited to numerous other events taking place as part of the SA National Youth Orchestra course for a reduced ticket price. Full details will be provided on 25 June at the introductory event.
The course will start at 5:00pm on 25 June at the ZK Mathews Hall, UNISA with a brief introductory talk by Dr Cameron Harris for the participants. This will be followed by the Clockwise concert. The course will end after the final rehearsal on 26 June.
There is no cost for Meet the Orchestra, but if accommodation is required for the evening of 25 June, participants will have to fund this and transport to Pretoria themselves. The SA National Youth Orchestra Foundation may be able to assist in providing cheap accommodation – please indicate in your application email if you will need somewhere to stay.
To apply for Meet the Orchestra, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and contact details, a short CV or biography (max 400 words) showing your experience and musical background, and a short statement (max 500 words) explaining why you would like to attend Meet the Orchestra. Please note that a large amount of experience as a composer is not necessary to participate in this event.
The deadline for applications is Monday 15 June, so please apply as soon as possible.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you need any further information about Meet the Orchestra.
We look forward to receiving your application.
The NewMusicSA Team